What Are Deep Pocket Sheets?
5 min read
Sinking into a comfortable bed at the end of a long day can be one of the most peaceful feelings.
The last thing you want to think about while getting some much-needed rest is your sheets in a bunch around you or the corner of your fitted sheet popping off and scaring you in the middle of the night. Putting your sheets on your mattress should not resemble a wrestling match.
It can be misleading to think that all fitted sheets are created equal. The name “fitted sheet” alone implies that it would fit your mattress well. Two things can be universally frustrating about fitted sheets: failing to learn how to fold a fitted sheet properly and the feeling of having to force on a fitted sheet that doesn’t actually fit properly.
It can be overwhelming to go through a process of trial and error trying to determine the perfect fit for sheets. It's time to toss the sheets that make you feel like you have just had a high-intensity workout and discover the magic that is deep pocket sheets.
What are Standard Sheets?
First things first, to appreciate why deep pocket sheets are important, you have to understand what standard sheets are. Your standard set of sheets come with a fitted sheet that has elastic around the space that would wrap around the corners of your mattress. Fitted sheets create a soft first layer and barrier between you and the mattress. The flat sheet in your set is meant to create another soft layer between you and the blanket, comforter, or duvet on top of your bed.
Most standard mattresses have a height between 8 and 12 inches. Mattresses that fall in a more luxurious category can commonly range from 14 all the way up to 18 inches. Standard sheets are typically able to cover 7 to 14 inches deep. It is definitely worthwhile to make sure you are checking labels because if your mattress height is over 14 inches, then the depth of the pocket on your standard sheets may not fit well.
Why Are Deep Pocket Sheets Beneficial?
Deeper than your standard size sheets, deep pocket sheets provide the room you need, especially in the pocket area of the sheets that align with the corner of the mattress. To accommodate mattresses that are thicker, have a topper for added comfort, or have a built-in pillow top, deep pocket sheets easily glide, and stay, over the mattress eliminating any unnecessary struggle to force the sheet to fit. Not only does it look nicer when your sheets fit, but it adds that extra comfort you are seeking when you’re finally able to lay down to snuggle in for bed.
Things to know about deep pocket sheets:
- They typically measure in at approximately 15 inches deep.
- If your mattress requires extra deep pockets, they would measure in at anywhere from 16-22 inches.
- Deep pocket sheets can be found in a variety of fabrics ranging from flannel, sateen, cotton, and beyond. Quality and material used is not affected by sheet depth.
- You are able to find deep pocket sheets to match your decor as they come in a wide variety of colors and patterns.
- No matter the size of your mattress, you should be able to find deep pocket sheets that will accommodate it.
Measuring the Height of Your Mattress
In order to get an exact determination on the height of your mattress, it would be best to measure it. You wouldn’t go baking a cake eyeballing measurements; if you did, you would likely end up with a lopsided cake that didn’t taste very good. As with anything of importance, you want to make sure you get an accurate measurement so that you avoid the hassle of returns and sheets that don’t fit correctly.
It is important to measure how thick a mattress is and the entirety of its height to get an accurate idea of its true measurement. Mattresses can have a tendency to swell upward, and if you have a pillow top mattress, it would not be a good idea to only measure the side of the mattress. A good example of how to measure a mattress would be:
- Start at the highest point of the mattress, place a straight edge or ruler that extends past the mattress edge.
- Make sure that the ruler or straightedge is horizontal, and without changing the shape of the mattress, carefully press down.
- With a tape measure or yardstick, you will want to measure from the ruler or straightedge to the bottom of the mattress.
- If your measurement is more than 12 inches, you may want to invest in deep pocket sheets.
Why is a Restful Environment so Important?
It may seem like just lip service to hear the importance of getting a full night's rest, but there is a lot happening within your body that requires adequate sleep. Each night, the vast majority of adults require approximately 7 hours of sleep. The process of sleep is physically and mentally restorative and has benefits that reach far beyond just the 7 hours of sleep.
Knowing the factors that can influence your ability to rest can help you adjust them to support the maximum amount of rest possible. Here are some ways to eliminate external interferences getting in between us and our best night rest:
- The environment you sleep in can have an impact on your ability to sleep well. Your pillows, sheets and mattress, and the overall comfort of your bed can all determine how well you fall and stay asleep. Making sure you have the perfect sheets, pillows, and mattress to suit your needs will ensure you are setting yourself up for a restful environment to sleep in.
- It is ideal to keep your room free of noise and distractions, lighting to a minimum, and temperature should be at a level that you find soothing to sleep in. If your body is too busy making adjustments to sweating or shivering, loud noises, and bright lighting, it will not be able to achieve a restful state of sleep.
- Leading up to a few hours before bedtime, it is important to be cautious about consuming large meals, caffeine, and alcohol.
- Throughout the day, engaging in physical activity can aid in your ability to sleep at night.
- Sticking to a routine for bedtime can assist your body in preparing for sleep when the time comes.
- Delay of sleep can occur if you watch a particularly scary movie, read a thrilling or emotional article, or engage in anxiety-producing activities prior to bed. It has been recommended to turn off screen activity approximately an hour before bedtime to allow your body to adjust to a relaxing state.
If you are anything like us, you daydream about the gift that is sleep all the time. Even while on vacation, it’s nice to think about all the comforts of your own home and bed. Creating the perfect space for rest and relaxation is a must. The thought of walking into a room that is messy and unkempt can cause unnecessary distress right before participating in one of the holy grail pieces of rejuvenation… sleep.
The last thing you want to think about is sheets popping off every corner, drowning in ill-fitting sheets, or trying to force fitted sheets on your bed. It’s so wonderful to walk in your room, turn down your bed linens and sink into a soft pair of sheets that help you feel like you have had a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep.
Determining how to bring your bed linen situation together can feel daunting, but it doesn’t have to. There are several tips to remember when selecting the proper sheets for your bed:
- Measuring matters. It is important to select a fitted sheet that adds 2 inches to your mattress height to be sure they fit well. If you do not follow this rule of thumb, chances are you may feel like you have to force it to stay on and run the risk of it eventually popping right back off.
- Select fabrics that you know you will love and can aid in keeping moisture at bay. Just like a sleeping baby, you will want to keep cool and dry while you are sleeping.
- You want sheets that not only fit your bed well but feel cool, breathable, and buttery soft. The ideal range of thread count can be between 200-400.
You are now more than equipped with some steps to understanding all you need to know about finding the perfect deep pocket sheets for your mattress. If you follow these steps, you are well on your way to a great night's sleep but don’t take our word for it, try them for yourself.